Can You Claim Universal Credit If You Are Not a British Citizen?

Universal Credit is a type of social security payment in the United Kingdom. It was introduced to replace and combine six incentives for low-income working-class people: salary-based jobseeker’s Allotment, salary employment and Support Welfare, Child Tax Credit, Work Tax Rebate, Financial Assistance, and Housing Support.

Iain Duncan Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary, unveiled the new policy at the Conservative Party’s annual conference in 2010, claiming that it will make the social security system more equitable for claimants and taxpayers.

Who is eligible to get Universal Credit?

Working-class people aged 16-64 are eligible candidates for Universal Credit. However, there are a lot of criteria that one must fill in before being able to receive Universal Credit assistance.

Applicants must be under State Pension age, and live in the United Kingdom (there are more criteria to fulfill if you’re not a legal British citizen). Applicants must also have less than £16,000 in their savings account. Your partner’s salary and savings will also be taken into consideration if you’re living with your partner.

On a side note: You could also be questioned about this matter in your as suggested by Universal credit could help a lot of immigrants get up on their feet, hence, this is a topic that could be included.

Applicants are eligible to receive Universal Credit even if they are living in a shared home. For instance, if you’re living with your parents then the housing benefit you are to receive will surely be less. In case the applicant is self-employed or a business operator, he/she is eligible for Universal Credit but it depends on his/her situation at the moment.

What if you’re not a UK citizen?


If you’re from the European Union; You’ll be subject to immigration control if you arrived in the UK after December 31, 2020, and aren’t accompanying a family member. You will not be eligible for Universal Credit as a result of this.

You may be eligible for Universal Credit if you arrived in the UK before December 31, 2020, or if you’re joining a family member. For eligibility, you will need to prove that you have the ‘right to reside’, in other words, you have to show that you have settled status or a right to claim financial support in the UK.

Moreover, you will also need to prove that you reside in the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man and also that you plan to stay. This process is known as ‘habitually resident’. However, even after that, you will have to depend on factors like your job, personal circumstances, and family.

These are the basic requirements; you are able to claim Universal Credit only if you have:

  • British citizenship and if you’re able to prove that you plan to stay.
  • Pre-established report from the European Union Settlement Scheme and an additional right to reside.
  • Leave to remain status from the EU

If you’re from overseas (outside of the EU)

If you’re under immigration control, you won’t be able to apply for Universal Credit. Moreover, you must also pass the ‘habitual residence test’ or be excluded from it. We advise you to inquire with a professional about this subject as he/she can help you get around legal issues much more efficiently and effectively than any article.

Filling in The Form Could Be Daunting


If you’re able to confirm that you reside in the United Kingdom, Ireland, or the Isle of Man, and if you could also prove that you’re planning on remaining in the state in the future, you may be qualified for the benefits. Nonetheless, you should know that filling out the form can be daunting because of this.

Hence, there are several important things that you should know before applying, all of which will make everything simpler for you. The things that you should know and consider are the following:

1. Should I Fill Out a Joint or Single Form?

As we previously mentioned, these benefits are founded on the salaries and savings of a particular household. Hence, if you reside by yourself or if you share a residence or apartment with an individual that isn’t your spouse, you’ll be required to complete and send a single form.

Bur, if you now live with your husband/wife or if you’re planning on doing so in the near future, you must submit a joint application. Keep in mind, that you must do this even if the individual isn’t receiving the awards. Also, one individual will be capable of filling out the online document, though the details will be required for both individuals.

2. What Paperwork Will I Require?


Once you determine what type of form you need to fill out, the next step is to gather all the documents and information you’ll require. For starters, you’ll require the banking or credit union info. Second, you must submit your email, and telephone number, as well as the housing expenses you have each month – like the mortgage you pay or rental fee.

Third, you should have a statement of your earnings, no matter if you run a company or if you’re employed by someone else’s firm. Your asset and savings paperwork (such as the stakes you might own) will also need to be submitted. Additionally, if applicable, you must remember to present the costs you may have for childcare services.

3. Will I Have to Prove My Identity?

Yes, if you’re planning on submitting the form online, you will be required to prove your identity. For this, you might want to use the credit cards you own, your driving license, and, of course, your passport. It’s worth mentioning that if you don’t own these documents or if you don’t own an ID that features your picture, you could always ask for assistance from the “Help to Claim” representative. By contacting them, they’ll offer you further info about what you might want to do.

4. What Are These Assistance Services?


If you’ve never submitted this type of application before, you should know that “Help to Claim” assistance could support you with several things. Now, these services are entirely secret and free of charge, thus, you shouldn’t neglect to use them.

By choosing these services, you could check and learn if you’re able to obtain the help, you could receive the records and papers you require for the forms, and you could also get assistance when it comes to filling out the paperwork online.